[Development] A QtCore class for event-driven jobs

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Thu Sep 12 08:07:10 CEST 2013

Op 11-9-2013 17:19, David Faure schreef:
>> Couldn't such a class be part of the hopefully coming QtConcurrent
>> replacement?
> Can we forget about threads for a second?
No, I'd rather not forget that huge pink elephant in the room... In this
age of multi-core systems being the norm rather than exception, we
simply cannot ignore threads when designing a generic API for
asynchronous jobs.

> The main point of event-driven jobs is to have them use the event loop, NOT
> threads.
That sounds pointless to me. Why would you design an API for
asynchronous jobs, but limit that to those jobs that use the eventloop?
What does the user of the API really care what the API does to pull of
the async-ness? Compare with QNAM: it uses threading too in the
background, doesn't it?

To me, a generic job API only makes sense if the API makes sense for all
async operations, no matter if the job itself uses threading or the
eventloop to work. Both should work equally well, and have equal support
IMHO.

André

--
You like Qt?
I am looking for collegues to join me at i-Optics!