[Development] Heads up: QtAlgorithms to be deprecated in 5.2

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Sat Sep 14 16:43:17 CEST 2013

On Saturday 14 September 2013 14:27:00 Uwe Rathmann wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 22:16:43 +0200, Giuseppe D'Angelo wrote:
> > https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,43441 (currently waiting for a
> > review) is going to mark most of the QtAlgorithms functions as
> > deprecated.
>
> What does deprecated mean - will it be removed in some Qt 5.x or in Qt
> 6.0 ?
>
> Please always have in mind that API changes are a pain, when you have to
> maintain code, that has to work with different Qt versions. This is more
> or less the situation of almost every 3rd party library !

It will not be removed within Qt 5.x. and will continue to work (it will
probably not be touched).   It will likely be removed in Qt 6.

It will be marked as deprecated and you will get a deprecated warnings.

Standard library algorithms work also well with Qt4. So you can use the
alternative also if your code still need to compile with Qt4.

Don't worry, we know that API changes are a pain, and we have it in mind.

--
Olivier

Woboq - Qt services and support - http://woboq.com - http://code.woboq.org