[Development] Source build woes on windows

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Sep 16 22:59:36 CEST 2013

On segunda-feira, 16 de setembro de 2013 14:17:41, Kuba Ober wrote:
> I'm trying to build 5.1.1 from source (.zip download) on Windows using
> MSVC2012, in a separate prefix (shadow) build. So far I've run into two
> issues:
>
> 1. configure.bat fails to bootstrap without .gitignore being present.
> Wouldn't it be better to check for presence of configure.exe? Are we only
> supposed to build from a git clone? If so, is there any purpose for the
> .zip/.tar.gz downloads? The workaround is to manually add .gitignore. Or
> else I'm just very confused :(

You're supposed to build only from a) a git clone or b) the official tarballs or
.zip. Downloading a .zip file from Gitorious is not supported.

The absence or presence of configure.exe is not the only issue. There's also
the question whether perl is required at build time, due to the need to update
the include dir. The decision was made for 5.1 that perl should not be
required during builds from official tarballs, which means the code to bootstrap
configure.exe and to create the include/ dir is disabled. It must be run during
our package creation process.

> 2. Having configured with -qt-zlib, prefix/qtbase/include/QtZlib is missing.
> In other words, the zlib headers are not copied over from the source to the
> build prefix. This makes the qtsvg build fail. I've looked for a file that
> has a list of headers to copy over during qtbase build, but couldn't find
> it. Any pointers? I'd like to add QtZlib there and see if it would succeed.
> https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-32641 seems related, but
> without QtZlib even being in $$[QT_INSTALL_HEADERS/get], it won't work.

Can you report this issue? It looks genuine.

My suggestion is, of course, that qtsvg gets its own copy of zlib in
src/3rdparty. Anyone who can't or won't have a system-installed & shared zlib
will pay the penalty of having zlib duplicated in memory up to 6 times.