[Development] Qt WebEngine

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at digia.com
Thu Sep 19 09:47:22 CEST 2013

On Thursday 19. September 2013 09.29.47 Cornelius Hald wrote:
> Sorry to bother again, but what's the plan now regarding QQuick2 WebView
> on Android? Is it Webkit? Chromium/Blink? Nothing? Something else? And
> when?

The initial release of Qt for Android is not going to include any integration
of a web view (of sorts) into Qt Quick2 - unfortunately. This is not because
nobody wants it, but it is simply a limitation of resources on our side and
nobody else seems to have stepped up so far to look into it.

For Android I can think of two approaches:

* There may be a technical way of packaging up Chromium for Android and the Qt
integration (Qt WebEngine). This is certainly a bigger task but you know what
you get as it involves shipping the entire engine. My guess would be that the
download is about the size of Opera for Android (~25-30 MB) plus the size of
Qt and your app.

* A probably simpler way is to figure out how to access the Android WebView
(Java), render it into an FBO and integrate the FBO into the QtQuick 2 scene
graph. This might be doable on top of Qt for Android - I don't think it would
require any changes to Qt itself (but I may be wrong here!)

Eventually I hope that we can find the time and resources to look into either
of these options. If somebody else steps up first to start working on that
inside the Qt project, then it would be an opportunity for us to join.

Simon