[Development] Heads up: QtAlgorithms to be deprecated in 5.2

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Fri Sep 20 10:52:40 CEST 2013

Op 13-9-2013 22:16, Giuseppe D'Angelo schreef:
> Hello,
>
> https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,43441 (currently waiting for
> a review) is going to mark most of the QtAlgorithms functions as
> deprecated.
>
> The decision about this has already happened some time ago:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/development@qt-project.org/msg01603.html
>
> To summarize it up, there are several good reasons to do this, most
> notably:
> - Qt 5 requires STL;
> - STL algorithms are far better than ones in Qt;
> - Due to the fact that Qt algorithms use qLess and qSwap, it's just
> not possible to reimplement Qt algorithms in terms of the STL
> counterparts and keep 100% compatibility with existing code.
Reading through that discussion, I wonder why the choice made has been
to depricate QtAlgorithms, while in that thread it was suggested to
depricate QT_NO_STL itself. Personally, I'm sad to see them go, but I
understand the reasoning. I do think that the versions taking a
container will be really missed though, and I'll probably end up
creating my own algorithms.h to make that work again.

André

--
You like Qt?
I am looking for collegues to join me at i-Optics!