[Development] Novice question for first-time contributions

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 06:22:28 CEST 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 10:06 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com
> wrote:

> On quinta-feira, 26 de setembro de 2013 17:12:09, Mandeep Sandhu wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Couple of days back I had fixed 2 bugs: one was a low priority one [
> > QTBUG-33439 <https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-33439>] and
> > another was not evaluated yet
> > [QTBUG-32911<https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-32911>],
> > though a similar bug
> > [QTBUG-31753<https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-31753>]
> > was evaluated as important (they were essentially due the same problem).
> >
> > I had pushed my changes to the ref- "refs/for/stable" (as shown in the
> > Gerrit wiki page). Is that correct or do I need to send it to the 'dev'
> > branch?
>
> Just follow the branch guidelines: stable is for bugfixes (though not all
> bugfixes), dev is for new features and for bugfixes that require a little
> more
> attention; release is for the release and release-critical bugfixes.
>
> You always submit to the most-frozen branch that the patch applies to. So
> if
> you're fixing a bug and it applies to stable, that's where you send.

Thanks for this info! I'm going to keep this handy. Maybe we can add this
to the wiki too (Gerrit Flow/Commit policy pages).

> > Also, whats the correct way to solicit a review? Should I check with
> > reviewer about his/her availability before adding them on Gerrit?
>
> No, just add the reviewers, they'll review when they get the time. You can
> find
> them by doing git log in the files you changed. Worst case scenario, add
> the
> maintainer.
>
> If you get no reviews in a while, add the maintainer (if that person isn't
> already there) and say you're requesting that the maintainer step in.

Yeah, that's what I did, added the maintainer. But now I'm thinking that
they might already have a long queue and might not get time to review
non-critical stuff.
How do I find the next-best person for review? Check a file's git log and
see who's committed to it most often?

-mandeep