[Development] Categorized logging inside Qt

Rutledge Shawn Shawn.Rutledge at digia.com
Fri Apr 11 10:31:41 CEST 2014

On 11 Apr 2014, at 10:11 AM, Poenitz Andre wrote:

> Shawn.Rutledge at digia.com wrote:
>> On 10 Apr 2014, at 7:20 PM, Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I just started to port accessibility to the new and shiny categorized logging.
>>> http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2014/03/11/qt-weekly-1-categorized-logging/
>>>
>>> I'd propose we decide on a certain style of declaring categories.
>>>
>>> A quick grep shows that we already have some variety, I'd like to unify this
>>> before Qt 5.3 is out of the door. I actually saw a patch adding DBG_FOOBAR as
>>> new category, that made me wonder about which style we should use.
>
>> I think the pattern is OK though: all uppercase, with a prefix like DBG and try to keep
>> them as short as possible since they get repeated all over.
>
> We tend to avoid abbreviations, so DBG instead of DEBUG looks odd.
>
> Your reasoning that it's REPEATED ALL OVER also MAKES ME THINK
> that USING ALL CAPS might be NO GOOD IDEA as it gives ME the
> feeling the code is constantly SHOUTING AT ME.

Not having all caps would be fine, but I still think they should be short, and don't see a problem with abbreviations because the context is obvious; it doesn't obscure the meaning like making a member variable or function name too short would do.  qCDebug is already an abbreviation for "Qt categorized logging of the debug variety".