[Development] QScreen API

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Thu Apr 17 16:54:39 CEST 2014

Hi,
Yesterday I was trying to figure out a problem I've been having on some
code that keeps track of screen management changes on my system. After some
investigation I came to the conclusion that my problem was in Qt [1].

I'm sending this e-mail to know what's the status on the subject, if this
is something we'd like to fix or we have to adopt a solution specific for
the project (actually we already have a libkscreen, that would work). Still
the current state doesn't look good and we probably want to have it fixed
in Qt.

Furthermore, we realized that there's some API we're lacking as well, at
least we'd need to have a QGuiApplication::primaryScreenChanged signal and
probably a QGuiApplication::screenRemoved signal as well (this way we
wouldn't have to connect to QObject::destroyed on the screens).

TL;DR, what do the maintainers think of the screen management API we have?
Is anybody working on it? Is it documented anywhere why it was designed
this way? Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Aleix

[1] https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-38404