[Development] [QIODevice]How to correctly treat/understand of the documentation?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Apr 18 17:01:58 CEST 2014

Em sex 18 abr 2014, às 18:14:43, Denis Shienkov escreveu:
> Hi.
>
> I once again fluently look source codes of Qt and I see that the only one
> I/O class which supports a buffered mode is QTcpSocket (i.e.
> QAbstractSocket in buffered mode); in which is used the "deferred" writing
> for data transfer.
>
> Thus, whether can I take such behavior (with "deferred" writing) as a basis
> for implementation of I/O in QtSerialPort where only buffered mode is used
> (as in QTcpSocket) ?
>
> Because I don't see other precedents and examples which to take as a basis.

QProcess is also like that.

In both cases, the underlying I/O mechanism cannot take unlimited amounts of
data. The OS will only receive a certain number of bytes from the application
before saying "no more". So the writeData() functions for those two classes
must be able to buffer everything that can't be written immediately.

Why it doesn't write immediately, I don't know. It was like that when I
arrived in 2006.