[Development] Question about Qt's future

Christoph Feck christoph at maxiom.de
Mon Apr 21 10:41:52 CEST 2014

On Monday 21 April 2014 05:27:33 Joshua Kolden wrote:
> I’m curious why you are not interested in QML.
> [...]
> I see no reason to stay with Qt Widgets at all other than legacy
> application support.  So what is your concern?
> [...]

Not speaking for Michael, but let me add that C++ is much easier to
debug compared to QML, if you get a crash. We have nearly hundred
backtraces in the Plasma bug tracker that point back to crashes in
QtDeclarative, without a single clue where the crash comes from. For
examples see bugs 328234, 332131, 331060, 333621, 333532, 333334,
332995, or 332646 to cite only some fairly recent ones.

I am not blaming QML here, all those bugs are possibly caused by
errors in Plasma itself, but the fact that you cannot see from the
backtrace what caused the crash is a major concern for me.

--
Christoph Feck
http://kdepepo.wordpress.com/