[Development] Question about Qt's future

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at kdab.com
Mon Apr 21 10:53:01 CEST 2014

On Monday, 2014-04-21, 01:40:50, Michael Knight wrote:
> I feel like Qt is going in the direction of being Qml and Javascript only.I
> fear that they may abandon Qt Widgets in the near future,I think they are
> heavily promoting Qml.I don't want to use Qml,and before I start using Qt,I
> want to be sure that they will not abandon C++ side of Qt and that they
> continue to develop C++ side.It seems to me that they are developing Qml
> side mostly.

In discussion around QML and UI it is important to understand that QML is not
tied to any UI technology in particular.
I.e. the advantages of QML can be used with basically any component set [1]
that can be described in trees and properties on nodes, e.g. also with
QtWidgets [2].

The language "barrier" between C++ and QML makes it easier to see where UI
ends and program logic begins, leading to better abstraction between core
application and its interface.

This in turn allows different types of interface in top of the same core, e.g.
having different UI across different devices or different types of users.

Being loadable means that an application can decide at runtime which of those
interface to use.

Well written QML is runtime reloadable so switching between those different
UIs can even be done while the program is running.
During development that makes it very convenient for prototyping and testing.

If you look at the wider picture QML is a replacement for XML based .ui files,
not for any of the other technologies currently used with .ui files.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] including a console UI technology like Curses, see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTSPviWQs4w for an inspiration
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqpJEj15t9Q
--
Qt Developer Days 2014, October 6 - 8 at BCC, Berlin. Save the dates!

Kevin Krammer | kevin.krammer at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer