[Development] Question about Qt's future

charleyb123 . charleyb123 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 14:58:35 CEST 2014

Roland sayeth:

> <snip>, I liked the design to split business logic into
> C++ and UI design into QML and I still like it, but I came across
> several blocking issues (some of them are only valid for our
> application, some of them are general):
>
> - Our application has a huge framework of value classes. They cannot (or
> at least it does not make sense to) derive from QObject for several
> reasons. But subclassing QObject is the requirement to access data from
> C++ in QML. So we had our framework of well designed value classes and
> cannot use them in QML. There were evaluations to create QObject
> wrappers, but no nice solution. So no support for value classes is
> probably a show stopper for many projects. With Widgets we were able to
> use them easily.  <snip>

Ditto for us:  Huge network of value-classes, cannot derive from QObject.

However, integrating proprietary C++ classes to QML (both value and
reference semantics) through a code generator works great (and has other
advantages):  I did a talk on this at Qt Dev Days (San Fran) 2013, and the
slides are online:

http://www.qtdeveloperdays.com/northamerica/2013/c-object-adapter-layer-qml

--charley