[Development] Question about Qt's future

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Apr 21 18:19:28 CEST 2014

Em seg 21 abr 2014, às 10:59:43, md at rpzdesign.com escreveu:
> Can Qt Widgets design pattern be brought forward using the same OpenGL
> foundation
> that QML uses to instantiate controls?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: if you want it working in other platforms, without glitches and
regressions, the effort required for this is enormous. It basically requires
rewriting all or almost all widgets from scratch so that they work in a
retained-mode OpenGL scene graph, instead of imperative-mode raster buffer
painting. It's a complete paradigm change.

Since this requires a rewrite, instead of doing it in QtWidgets and risking
regressions that users will not accept, the idea was instead to do it in a
different module, one where we can experiment and at the same time clean up
some of the mistakes that exist in QtWidgets and can't be cleaned up without
annoying someone.

That's the Qt Quick Components.