[Development] Question about Qt's future

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at kdab.com
Mon Apr 21 18:45:30 CEST 2014

On Monday, 2014-04-21, 15:13:08, Robert Knight wrote:
> > The design direction is because QML is easier to develop with, more
> > modern,
> > and based on OpenGL. Widgets don't have that and will never be as
> > efficient.>
> >  Therefore, the effort is directed towards the technology that has the
> >  potential>
> > to make interfaces for 2017-2020.
>
> Unfortunately that means there are now 4 completely separate UI stacks
> to maintain in Qt - widgets,
> QGraphicsView, the web and QtQuick v2. I wonder if they could be
> harmonized at all?

We can use QML to describe UIs in all four.

> > If you look at the wider picture QML is a replacement for XML based .ui
> > files, not for any of the other technologies currently used with .ui
> > files.
>
> A .ui file gets translated in a fairly straightforward way into an
> object graph of widgets, actions and other documented
> classes though. QML adds data binding and other nice features but it
> also brings a fairly complex runtime with it and that
> does lead to the interop complications across the C++/JS bridge divide.

True, but it mainly depends on how much JS you want to use.
If you are mainly working with bindings then that is usually not an issue.

Cheers,
Kevin
--
Qt Developer Days 2014, October 6 - 8 at BCC, Berlin. Save the dates!

Kevin Krammer | kevin.krammer at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer