[Development] Changelogs for 5.3.0

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Apr 23 09:26:41 CEST 2014

Em qua 23 abr 2014, às 09:16:05, Joerg Bornemann escreveu:
> On 23-Apr-14 09:04, Giuseppe D'Angelo wrote:
> > And no, commit message and changelog can't use the same rules. A
> > commit message is usually in the imperative mode, present tense ("Fix
> > foo"), and uses pluralis maiestatis + indicative in the body ("We do
> > this, but we should do that, so this commit fixes it"). A changelog
> > uses indicative past simple ("Fixed foo"), or passive present perfect
> > ("Foo has been fixed"), and in general privileges an impersonal form
> > ("It is now possible to use foo"), all of which indicate that the
> > change has already happened in the past.
>
> Well you can have simple rules or people making mistakes. It's as simple
> as that.
>
> At the very least it should be more visible which linguistic mode we
> have to use in what context and where a haiku would be appropriate.

We can standardise on the simple past for everything. Just note that it costs
you 2 extra characters on the 72-character subject line (and the sanity bot
starts complaining at 67).

Still, that doesn't change the fact that the two things have two different
audiences and convey two different messages.