[Development] Question about Qt's future

Sorvig Morten Morten.Sorvig at digia.com
Wed Apr 23 17:14:45 CEST 2014

On 22 Apr 2014, at 12:49, Simon Hausmann <simon.hausmann at digia.com> wrote:

> On Monday 21. April 2014 15.13.08 Robert Knight wrote:
>>> The design direction is because QML is easier to develop with, more
>>> modern,
>>> and based on OpenGL. Widgets don't have that and will never be as
>>> efficient.>
>>> Therefore, the effort is directed towards the technology that has the
>>> potential>
>>> to make interfaces for 2017-2020.
>>
>> Unfortunately that means there are now 4 completely separate UI stacks
>> to maintain in Qt - widgets,
>> QGraphicsView, the web and QtQuick v2. I wonder if they could be
>> harmonized at all?
>
> There is maybe more harmonization going on that you might think.

There’s even a shared platform abstraction layer which provides the base that at least three of the stacks are built on :)

And I think this is important - much of the maintenance work related to the coming and going of platforms will be done on QPA which will benefit both Widgets and Qt Quick.

Morten