[Development] QtQml value types

Alberto Mardegan mardy at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Apr 25 12:51:54 CEST 2014

On 04/24/2014 03:11 PM, Joshua Kolden wrote:
[...]
> We have a solution that works very well for us using QVariantMaps and an
> MVC pattern / strong separation between data objects and view.  It
> appears to me that most people are having this issue because it’s not
> common to use MVC with QtWidgets.  But you can easily expose complex
> data structures to QtQuick without subclassing QObject via QVariantMaps.
[...]

While your proposed approach is rather clean, it carries one drawback,
which is the lack of type information, with all its consequences.

For instance, I would like to have a GeoPoint type with "latitude" and
"longitude" properties; if I exposed it as a QVariantMap, I wouldn't be
able to prevent the QML code from doing stuff like:
p.latitude = 60
p.longitde = 10 // note the typo

Ciao,
  Alberto