[Development] Question about Qt's future

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Sun Apr 27 13:31:33 CEST 2014

On 21.04.2014 13:39, Roland Winklmeier wrote:
> - Memory consumption: Even a mini example took about 70 MB of memory,
> QtWidgets need a lot less. This is not a complain, I know the JS runtime
> needs its initial memory. It was just one factor, because our
> application is running as an addon to Flight Simulators and they usally
> consum a lot memory. This is especially a major problem with MS Flight
> Simulator since it is only available as 32 bit application. Therefore
> every any MegaByte is important.

Especially on "non-fat" embedded systems this is a problem:
When you wanna use Linux you need some MBs Ram for the kernel,
some to get a running system, and some MBs for your application.
So you end at minimum 5-32MBs.
Then adding 100MB just to run QML really hurts, and you start
looking for alternatives, like using only QWidgets with very
limited OpenGL support or not to use a Qt-GUI at all.

Maybe such systems are also interesting from a business perspective.