[Development] Question about Qt's future

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Mon Apr 28 07:53:48 CEST 2014

On 27.04.2014 22:40, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Em dom 27 abr 2014, às 13:09:50, Peter Kümmel escreveu:
>> On 26.04.2014 17:39, André Pönitz wrote:
>>> You could have made the point "declarative structures are good for GUI
>>> description" for Qt Widget's .ui files, after all, .ui files contents
>>> pretty much _is_ declaring layout nesting and property values.
>>
>> Just an idea:
>> Declarative-only QML files could be translated to C++ by a tool similar
>> to uic, and then used by a C++-only successor of QtWidgets.
>>
>> Or are there any technical reasons why all the state-of-the-features
>> provided by QML v2 could not be implemented on the C++ side assuming
>> there is a QML-to-C++ code generation step?
>
> It's possible, but there's no API in the C++ side to create the graph. Until
> such an API exists, you can't write the generator.

I know that currently there is no support for this in Qt, also no plans
to add it, all I wanted to hear is "It's possible".

I assume it would be only a community-driven long-term project, which takes
years until it is on par with QtWidgets. But hey, I'm fascinated by the idea,
and maybe I'm not alone.

ATM the problem is to get started because I don't know much about the
current architecture of the graphic stack.
Any hints where to start for a first hello world?