[Development] Question about Qt's future

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Mon Apr 28 11:54:44 CEST 2014

On 28.04.2014 09:26, Thiago Macieira wrote:

>>> Maybe a translation from QML to a .ui file could be a first step? That
>>> could work if you use QtWidgets in the QML file.
>> I think we should start on top of the C/C++ part of current QMLv2 stack (if
>> such a thing exists), with some handwritten widget code. Otherwise we have
>> a QPainter based system which we already have with QWidgets.
>
> Forget about QPainter.

Yes, this I wanted to say.

> Your first step, it seems to me, would be to add the necessary C++ public API
> to QtQml so you can instantiate new items in the QML graph, then manipulate
> their properties and bindings, as well as set new JavaScript code and
> expressions. This simply replaces the QML parser, keeping all the benefits (and
> problems) of the QML language. In particular, it does not extricate the JS
> interpreter and engine.
>
> If you want to extricate the JS engine, you probably need to move the Scene

Initially I thought this would be important, but if JS is just another
foreign language (like OpenGL shaders) deep in the drawing stack invisible
to the C++ developer it doesn't hurt.
At least it seems to me this is the only way to see some progress
within the time frame of a after-work project.

> Graph classes out of QtQuick and into a module that depends only on QtGui,
> bypassing the QtQml dependency. You'll need a way to insert generic items into
> the graph. But, at this point, I question: why don't you just use an existing
> OpenGL scene graph, like Ogle3D?

Goal is still to have desktop widgets within the Qt framework.

> Once you've got the base API, you can start thinking of writing widgets again,
> the platform look and feel. If the QtQml dependency was maintained, it might
> be possible to reuse the code from Qt Quick Components. If not, you'll
> probably need to start from scratch.

This would be the tedious part.

Peter