[Development] Question about Qt's future

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Mon Apr 28 11:57:45 CEST 2014

Hartmann Thomas schreef op 28-4-2014 11:32:
> Hi,
>
> yes, writting C++ inline in QML would be another "tooling nightmare". Also what is the problem with:
>
> MouseArea {
>      onClicked: companion.mouseAreaClicked();
> }
>
> If tooling creates the companion object for you (In a wizard) and code completion and code naviagtion (F2) works as expected?

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by a "companion" object. Why
exactly do we need another object in the mix? Where does it come from?
Where is exposed to the C++ side of things? What problem is it supposed
to solve exactly?

QML already allows you to specify signals. Would exposing these signals
on the C++ side through the object created by QQmlComponent::create not
be enough? You could then on the QML side bind the handler to signal on
the root object (directly or indirectly), and handle the signal on the
C++ side. Tooling-wise, I _guess_ these signals could be exposed for
code completion and the likes.

But... you can already do something like that. You can already expose a
custom QObject with slots to QML that you can use to bind your handlers
to. Sort of like a UI controller object.

André