[Development] Any C++11-capable compiler for Windows CE?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Aug 2 18:17:02 CEST 2014

On Thursday 31 July 2014 08:17:34 Andreas Holzammer wrote:
> yes in recent Windows CE Versions either the Visual Studio 2012 or
> Visual Studio 2013[1] compiler is beeing used, which have some C++11
> features. But yes this applies to Windows Embedded 2013 and above,
> most systems which are used nowerdays use Windows Embedded Compact 7
> which just has the Visual Studio 2008 compiler. To be honest I did not
> had yet a Windows Embedded Compact 2013 hardware in my hands, so this
> is more a question in dropping support for Windows Embedded Compact 7,
> and I think that would be too early.

Thanks for the answer. It's not what I'd would have preferred to hear, but
it's an answer alright.

Note: we are allowed to add C++11-only features, so long as Qt continues to
build. For example, the new QThread::makeThread will most likely require
lambdas and std::function.

In fact, I encourage people to add new, convenience API that is C++11 only.
Like Marc says, "C++98 costs more" and we want people to force their vendors
to provide support.