[Development] forkfd and Qt 5.5 [and a call for QNX help]

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Aug 9 16:03:25 CEST 2014

forkfd will be in Qt 5.5.

We've been trying for the past few weeks to get forkfd and spawnfd[1] to work
on QNX 6.5 and we've failed. We have no clue why some tests still fail and we
don't have (or don't know we have) the necessary tools on QNX to do proper
debugging. For that reason, forkfd will miss Qt 5.4.

We'll keep trying for a few more months and I'd love to have help from some of
the QNX guys who may have access to better tools than we do (something like
strace or dtruss would greatly help).

Whether we fail or succeed, forkfd will be integrated for Qt 5.5.

But if we fail, then the problem is punted to QNX developers. If no action is
taken by the Qt 5.5 release, QNX 6.5 will be dropped from support. QNX 6.6
supposedly works because fork() works there.

[1] first patch is https://codereview.qt-project.org/73964. The change is 6
months old and the actual commit is over two years old. For a variety of
reasons including changes in strategy dealing with QNX and nitpicking, the
actual testing on QNX only happened in the last few weeks before 5.3 and now
of 5.4's feature freeze.