[Development] Qt6, Qt7 roadmap?

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 17:12:18 CEST 2014

As I understand it, the only reason for a major version bump from Qt 5
-> 6 is for backwards-incompatible changes, not new features.

> recall that the C++ Standards committee is looking at speculative work to support "modules"

Any modules implementation is going to have to have an associated
migration path from headers. In the case of Clang's implementation for
example this is done by having a set of 'module map' files which will
allow the compiler to transparently translate:

#include <foo/bar>
#include <foo/baz>
#include <meep>

To module imports, as if the code read:

@import foo
@import meep

Without actually requiring changes in the code. As I understand it,
this could be done for Qt 5 without breaking changes. The only
exception would be if the Qt headers rely on one of the 'module
anti-patterns' of things which will not be supported in modules.