[Development] [Releasing] HEADS UP: Qt 5.4 feature freeze - branch created

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Sun Aug 10 19:55:44 CEST 2014

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 02:10:52PM -0300, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> > > Yeah, that caught me a bit by surprise as well.
> >
> > why would it?
>
> Because it changed compared to previous times. It's irrelevant that the
> previous times required such an action for technical reasons: it happened that
> way. Now it happened differently.

that's a fact. but given that no specific problems with doing it
"the new way" were brought up, it's a rather useless observation.

> > > As said, I’m ok to commit it to the 5.4 branch during the next week.
> >
> > to me this is a rather obvious interpretation of "freeze exception",
> > which is why it's beyond me why anyone would get upset about me NOT
> > holding up integrations on dev even longer than planned (which would be
> > a logical consequence of delaying the 5.4 branch creation).
>
> I wouldn't be upset if you had done what you say here. You didn't.
>
> You did block dev by introducing a broken change

you are entirely missing the point. you (or anybody else) was not
supposed to stage anything on dev. if not for that mistake, you would
have created a royal mess in the branches with to your uncoordinated
intervention.

> and did not enable 5.4 (which should include the moving of the pending
> changes from dev to 5.4).

at that point, a day on a weekend is hardly a relevant issue.
especially that 5.4 doesn't integrate anyway due to no fault of mine.

> > speaking of which, dev will be opened again early tuesday.
>
> So it's not open.

of course not. that was part of the plan. but it will be open again
sooner than if you got your way.

> > fwiw, the first batch of retargetings is done. you can already stage,
> > even though it probably won't start integrating until monday.
>
> Ok, so I can get back to work around midnight Wednesday UTC. Great.

as this sounds like a complaint, one has to wonder what keeps you from
working. a few delayed integrations certainly don't sound like a
particularly convincing reason ...