[Development] Linux release binaries too old

Blasche Alexander Alexander.Blasche at digia.com
Tue Aug 26 10:20:10 CEST 2014

The Bt LE feature requires 3.5 kernel or above. My guess would be that a kernel below that version (although maybe Bluez support it) won't enable the feature.

In theory we should be able to deploy newer headers to old 11.10. The dependency is "just" a compile time one. After that it's just interaction between Qt and the kernel.

> > Bluetooth requires the newer headers only at build time. I tested binaries
> > on 12.04 by faking the new symbols and it still seemed to work.
> >
> > The question is how many old distros do we leave behind? Bluez 4.101 was
> > released in June 2012. If distros update Qt they are likely to recompile
> > anyway.
>
> Release dates are a bit misleading here. ;-)
>
> Compare the popularity of Qt4 vs Qt5 applications on distributions. With BlueZ
> is worse, since is a complete rewrite of the API. Even the most recent Ubuntu
> is still on BlueZ 4.

Bluez 4 or 5 doesn't matter. Qt 5.4 supports both and uses whichever Bluez version it can find at runtime.