[Development] Linux release binaries too old

Blasche Alexander Alexander.Blasche at digia.com
Tue Aug 26 10:45:38 CEST 2014

--
Alex

Ok, I agree that we cannot leave stable Debian behind.

However I'd like to clarify how and where we formalize which of the distros above we care about and/or what condition must be fulfilled when doing an upgrade. Not every case is as clear cut as the Debian one.  There is no formalization or reference page that I can find. Our docs only talk about 11.10, 12.04 and occasional 11.04 tests.

> In other words, by upgrading our Ubuntu 11.10 build, we'll drop support for
> any released Debian. I don't think we can do it.

This leaves me with only one option. We have to deploy Bluez 4.101 headers to 11.10 machines.  It doesn't even have to be a full backport as the dependency is a compile time dependency.  My tests have shown that calling ::connect() with an extended sockaddr_l2 struct doesn't seem to cause any trouble on those older distros.

Can we agree on that?

--
Alex