[Development] QtMultimedia and Musepack

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Tue Aug 26 10:46:40 CEST 2014

On 2014-08-26, Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde at carewolf.com> wrote:
> Well. That would the safe way, and we should keep that in mind for Qt6, but I
> believe with symbol versioning it can be done without breaking ABI, assuming
> it works as advertised. The libraries would export all symbols as both their
> normal form and with @Qt_5 or @Qt_4 added. The libraries would at link time
> remember which the version suffix they linked against, and prefer that symbol
> at runtime linking. This means the duplicate non versioned symbol shouldn't
> cause any issues.
> I haven't tried, and some information I found about it, seems to suggest it
> can run into bugs in ld.so.

I think you can even add the symbols (and remove the unversioned ones)
without other than ld.so yelling a bit at you occasionally.

if your <thing> needs a versioned symbol, then the version must match.
If your thing doesn't need a versioned symbol, then any symbol,
versioned or not, can be used.

(I'm only talking about glibc's ld.so)

/Sune