[Development] QStorageInfo

Rutledge Shawn Shawn.Rutledge at digia.com
Fri Aug 29 17:01:31 CEST 2014

On 29 Aug 2014, at 4:23 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> On Friday 29 August 2014 18:05:30 Иван Комиссаров wrote:
>> Thiago was against introducing a QStorageInfoPlugin. However, i thinkg we
>> can try to dopen a udisks library. But why not simply try to link to it on
>> Linux? Are there any linux versions that doesn't have udisks now?
>
> Yes.
>
> And those libraries will open a D-Bus connection that we can't reuse, so
> that's more system resources spent.

Well it's not like there isn't a technical solution to using qdbus instead.  (Would multiple instances of qdbus share resources?  If we can do that, why does udisks not do it?)  But it will take memory to load qdbus too, whereas libudisks2 may already be loaded.  And the fact that dbus does IPC with sockets is out of our control.

But I guess I will stop thinking about it if everybody's OK with leaving out such obvious features.

> I'd still prefer to leave the detailed information to Solid. It's there
> already, has done that job for years and it doesn't depend on anything but Qt
> itself.

Maybe we didn't need to add QStorageInfo at all then?  Solid is so universal that every app can use it on every platform?  I suppose on non-Linux platforms though, you'd typically have to ship it along with the app (along with Qt itself).  On my system it's a whole megabyte.  (And still depends on Qt 4, but that will change eventually.)

I guess it has happened before that we got interested in doing something that KDE already did.

We could remove QStorageInfo (it's not released yet).  Or solid could come to depend on it, and maybe shrink a bit by removing code that duplicates what ours is doing.  (Doesn't seem likely though, does it…)