[Development] qtwebengine creates broken cmake files

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 00:35:32 CET 2014

Hello,

 https://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qtwebengine/commit/bef6cc644f176a69a85c68126bd0d7e50ab5757e

causes

because it disabled the tests (stupidly) instead of disabling the generation
of cmake files. The commit message also conveys lack of understanding
because it references 'building with cmake', which is no part of what's
going on.

The commit message even links to

 https://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qtbase/commit/3cd70c11bc7bbe3c5e9e4972d2273cf51bbdc30e

which specifies that what is done in the qtwebengine commit should
absolutely not be done, and it's only supported for enginio, which is known
to be broken:

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.qt.devel/17144

At the time of

 https://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qtbase/commit/3cd70c11bc7bbe3c5e9e4972d2273cf51bbdc30e

I wanted to hardcode the exception for qtenginio, but ossi wouldn't allow it
and required a generically usable solution. That is another sub-cause of the
bug.

I recommend disabling the generation of cmake files for qtwebengine as
described in

 https://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qtbase/commit/3cd70c11bc7bbe3c5e9e4972d2273cf51bbdc30e

which is linked from the qtwebengine commit which stupidly does the wrong
thing and not the recommended thing it links to.

I also recommend hardcoding the exception for enginio and removing the
generic '-' solution to prevent such problems in the future.

Thanks,

Steve.