[Development] qmake vcxproj generator issue

Joerg Bornemann joerg.bornemann at theqtcompany.com
Wed Dec 17 17:16:23 CET 2014

On 17-Dec-14 16:10, raven-worx Software wrote:

> i am using the command "qmake -tp vc -r" to generate Visual Studio projects.
> With Qt 5.3 and MSVC2008 this worked flawlessly.
> But since Qt 5.4 can't be compiled with MSVC2008 anymore i switched to
> MSVC2013.

What do you mean by "Qt 5.4 can't be compiled with MSVC2008 anymore"?
Visual Studio 2008 is still a supported toolchain.

> The command runs without errors and creates the .vcxproj files, so far
> so good.

And AFAIU you're calling configure, then "qmake -tp vc -r" to create VS
project files to build Qt? What is the use case for doing that?
If this approach worked for 5.3, then you were lucky. Nobody tests this
way of building.

> E.g. the command written to the project file looks like this:
> cl -c $(CXXFLAGS) <SOME-INCLUDE-FLAGS> tools\qstring_compat.cpp
> -Fo.obj\debug\qstring_compat.obj

$(CXXFLAGS) is a variable meant for nmake. Nobody thought of making this
work with VS project files. And nobody will, if I'm not totally
mistaking the crowd's motivation wrt this issue.

BR,

Joerg