[Development] Build Hotspots in the Qt build process

Shane McIntosh mcintosh at cs.queensu.ca
Mon Feb 3 22:39:27 CET 2014

Hi Qt developers!

My name is Shane. I’m a PhD student at Queen’s University in Canada.

I’ve been working on an approach for detecting build hotspots, i.e., files that not only take a long time to rebuild, but also change often. We think that these files are ideal candidates for refactoring that could shave time off of incremental builds that are really impacting software teams.

We came up with an approach that I presented last weekend at FOSDEM ( slides are available here: http://www.slideshare.net/shanemcintosh/identifying-hotspots-in-software-build-process ). One of the projects that we analyzed was Qt.

I bumped into Tobias at FOSDEM and he suggested that I post the list of Qt hotspots here. So, I’ve made the hotspot list available here: http://sailhome.cs.queensu.ca/~shane/content/qt_hotspots.txt

I’m happy to provide a more detailed Qt dataset when I return to my lab next week.

Kind regards,
-Shane

P.S.: We are conducting a survey on how build performance is impacting developers ( http://is.gd/DbMRTr ). If you could spare 5 minutes to fill out our survey, we’d really appreciate it!