[Development] Build Hotspots in the Qt build process

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Feb 6 20:03:28 CET 2014

Em qui 06 fev 2014, às 18:37:43, Shane McIntosh escreveu:
> > We've had precompilation support in qmake for a decade, but apparently we
> > use  that in exactly 3 modules...
>
> Hmm, it could also be interesting to look into these modules to see if
> having them precompiled is justified by its hotness?

Well, think of me. I'm the QtCore maintainer. Every time I change qstring.h or
qbasicatomic.h, EVERYTHING recompiles. Not even ccache can help me there. So
if I can get stuff precompiled, it should be a win.

The very least we can do is "auto precompilation": for every Qt module, we
know which modules it depends on, so we could generate a precompile header
that #includes the dependent's master header.

But I was hoping for the next step: which headers of the *current* module are
most in need of precompilation. For example, almost everything in QtWidgets
will #include <qwidget.h>.