[Development] websockets (was RE: Qt 5.3 Feature freeze is coming quite soon...)

Kurt Pattyn pattyn.kurt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 07:55:39 CET 2014

On 11 Feb 2014, at 17:15, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

> Em ter 11 fev 2014, às 09:04:39, Konrad Rosenbaum escreveu:
>> Please don't go there. AFAIK qrand() is a function meant to be equivalent to
>> the ANSI-C rand() function. I.e. it is supposed to be used by simple
>> simulations, be fast and produce reproducable random numbers when seeded
>> with the same value.
>
> Fast? yes.
>
> Needs to produce reproduceable sequence? Yes, but only because of unit
> testing.
>
> Equal to rand()? I'm not sure we need to keep that.
>
> My idea was to simply securely pre-seed the PRNG before you had a chance to
> use it, in each thread. If you need to seed it to something constant to get
> constant results, you'd still be able to.
Or you could keep the qsrand() method. When qsrand() is not called qrand() produces the same sequence.
As part of the QtWebSockets module, I created a random generator that is fast and that has reproducible sequences.
But it is based on std::random only.
Code will be checked in soon. I will add you to the reviewers.

Cheers,

Kurt