[Development] Plans for printing in 5.3 onwards

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Wed Feb 12 15:37:29 CET 2014

On Wednesday 12 Feb 2014 12:03:53 John Layt wrote:
> On Monday 10 Feb 2014 17:07:11 Shaw Andy wrote:
> > Since the feature freeze is on the 14th I have been eagerly awaiting the
> > changes that have been indicated already have been done so I can carry on
> > testing. Have I missed some updates or something? I am concerned because I
> > know how many people use the printing and we need to try and get these
> > changes tested and fixed where necessary in good time for the final so the
> > transition is not really noticed by the users. So is there any update on
> > these patches or should we consider waiting until Qt 5.4 to ensure they
> > are
> > all ready correctly?
>
> Sorry, needed to wait until the full stack of changes had been completed and
> integrated before pushing. The revised patches are up for review, I'm not
> sure we'll get it done in time, but it's worth a crack, otherwise I'll have
> to slog through the old code again fixing all the bugs I found for 5.3,
> only to replace the code again in 5.4.

If people don't quite feel confident taking all the changes at once, one
option is to take up Morten's earlier suggestion of not using the new platform
plugin code just yet, i.e.
* Merge the QPageLayout and QPageSize code and its use in QPrinter and
QPrintEngine, as this is the code that fixes many bugs and removes the
duplicated inconsistent code that is at the root of many issues.
* Change the existing platform code to use QPageSize and QPageLayout
internally
* Merge the new QPA code, but don't use it as yet,and  have the auto tests and
manual tests available for people to test it more thoroughly.
* Keep the patches switching to the new platform plugin code in reserve to
either switch for 5.3 if testing proves the plugin is stable enough, or more
likely to use in 5.4 if not.

> The main issues outstanding I see:

I missed the issue around the QPageLayout flag setters/getters which needs
clarification.

Cheers!

John.