[Development] websockets (was RE: Qt 5.3 Feature freeze is coming quite soon...)

Kurt Pattyn pattyn.kurt at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 20:49:04 CET 2014

On 15 Feb 2014, at 20:38, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:

> I have not read this thread through, but it is long for me now, but I
> would like to note one suggestion from my side:
>
> Make 1-2 unstable releases or a new add-on module. Unfortunately, we
> have not done that, and we are now stuck with a couple of bad API
> issues for a few years. This could have been avoided with 1-2 unstable
> releases because the user feedback began to come once it had been
> released and out.
QtWebSockets currently is an add-on module.

> Such a disclaimer could be done as part of Qt 5.3, etc. I think it is
> unpleasant for the end users, but if the communication is clear
> between the developer(s) and end users why it is so, I think this will
> serve good.
Not a bad idea at all.

> That being sad, I may be totally wrong, and websockets has already
> received a lot of end-user feedback with thorough API usage than
> QtSerialPort when it was first released as part of Qt. In that case,
> feel free to ignore me. I am just trying to help.

Your help is definitely appreciated.
QtWebSockets is a different beast than QtSerialPort I think.
It is kind of a socket, and as such has been modelled after the well-established
QAbstractSocket API. The server part is modelled after the well-established
QTcpServer API. Besides that there are 2 RFCs: one describing the protocol
itself and one describing the JavaScript API. So, we know what is to be
expected from a web socket.

Cheers,

Kurt