[Development] look-behind assertions in syntax HL?

Giuseppe D'Angelo dangelog at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 15:09:49 CET 2014

On 14 February 2014 18:25, Matthew Woehlke
<mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> That said... is there any technical reason why QRegExp couldn't sprout a
> PCRE expression type, that would use QRegularExpression internally? That
> would neatly solve the expression types problem (though
> QRegularExpression would still have a better API...). And also everyone
> already supporting QRegExp would suddenly get PCRE support "for free".

It could certainly be done from a technical POV, but I'd rather prefer
not giving people the idea that QRegExp is actively
developed/maintained, so that when we finally deprecate it the news
doesn't come as a surprise...

I guess that for Kate's purposes a small wrapper class around QRegExp
+ QRegularExpression would suffice for supporting both syntaxes. For
the future, we could instead think of adding wildcard and fixed-string
pattern types to QRegularExpression.

Thanks,
--
Giuseppe D'Angelo