[Development] Branches and time based releases

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at digia.com
Tue Feb 25 11:30:30 CET 2014

Mandag 24. februar 2014 14.22.49 skrev Thiago Macieira:
> Em seg 24 fev 2014, às 21:11:47, Knoll Lars escreveu:

I'll also only leave the relevant parts.

> > * After creating the branch for a new minor release we do a forward merge
> > from the previous branch before creating the alpha. The advantage here is
> > that the forward merge is something we know how to handle (it’s done on a
> > rather regular basis), and we then know we have all changes from the
> > previous patch level release in the new release.
>
> My objection here is that the merging is not the problem. We still need to
> get changes through the CI and *that* is currently the problem.
>
> I still feel we're solving the wrong problem. Or, we can say we're working
> around the problem because really solving it is not within our means right
> now.

I agree to this to some degree. That is where my proposal to change the
qt5.git integration comes from - as far as I understand that is currently a
problem again, even if we intend to make all tests less flaky etc...

(We currently waste huge amounts of energy on running tests that are marked as
insignificant for example - if we spend that CPU time on relevant things we
might be faster. But that's off-topic for this thread.)

I think our goal is to reduce pain points in all areas though, and the
branching is just a small part of this, but one where Ossi and I are
passionate since we end up doing at least some part of the work.

--
Best regards,
Frederik Gladhorn