[Development] On the effectiveness of time based releases

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Tue Feb 25 18:26:19 CET 2014

Il 24/02/2014 19:35, Olivier Goffart ha scritto:
> I am not sure what was exactly the problem in question you are referring to.
> If I understand correctly you believe that some code will go into Qt 5.3
> without being ready? (And that would have been beneficial to wait?)

Yes.

And that's why I said I would've started other discussions :)

> Before merging a feature the maintainers consider if yes or not the feature is
> ready for integration. If bad decisions are made, I don't think the "time-
> based" releases have anything to do with that.

It has to some degree, because it leads to rushing features in before
the deadline; and then API reviews, blatant bug fixes, writing examples,
source cleanups, etc. happen in stable after the merge (and not, as I
said, before even merging into dev).

Thanks,
--
Giuseppe D'Angelo | giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com | Software Engineer