[Development] The Dynamic OpenGL on Windows Change

Saether Jan-Arve Jan-Arve.Saether at digia.com
Fri Feb 28 08:40:25 CET 2014

> On Behalf Of Sean Harmer
>
> On 27/02/2014 15:42, Friedemann Kleint wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the intention was here to pave to way for a software renderer for
>> platforms that have no GL at all (virtual machines,  remote logins,
>> etc, see https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-36091 ).
>
> Is this not trying to solve the problem at the wrong level? This
> sounds like it would be better resolved as a system
> configuration/deployment approach by having those systems use mesa's
> llvmpipe opengl32.dll as the OpenGL implementation rather than trying
> to solve it from within Qt itself.
Yes - ideally, this should be resolved as a system deployment approach, but the corporation that controls the system (Microsoft) have little interest in deploying opengl drivers to the system.

I therefore don't think this can be resolved as a system deployment approach, since ANGLE/llvmpipe is not part of the OS graphics stack on windows. When I install a new graphics card (or even just upgrade the graphics card driver), I expect that the software on the system will automatically take advantage of its new capabilities next time it is started.

Jan Arve