[Development] qPrintable encoding issues

Koehne Kai Kai.Koehne at digia.com
Fri Feb 28 10:16:52 CET 2014

I've been pondering with this something similar too, since

qDebug("%s", string.toUtf8().constData());

isn't really short and crisp ... But I just found out that there's a more elegant way: QString::snprintf and therefore also qDebug() and friends support the %ls placeholder, so you can write

qDebug("%ls", string.utf16());

> (If you don't otherwise care about doing conversions to local-8-bit, couldn't
> you also set the string locale to UTF-8?)

Sorry, I didn't get this question / proposal :) The issue is that qPrintable might be used in all sort of contexts, so changing its behavior for sure breaks code.

Regards

Kai