[Development] The Dynamic OpenGL on Windows Change

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Fri Feb 28 11:40:36 CET 2014

Hi Gunnar,

On Friday 28 February 2014 07:14:24 Gunnar Sletta wrote:
> On 27 Feb 2014, at 22:17, Agocs Laszlo <Laszlo.Agocs at digia.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 02:28:26PM +0000, Sean Harmer wrote:
> >> The apparent problem that this is attempting to address is the need for
> >> both ANGLE and desktop OpenGL builds of Qt on windows. As you know Qt
> >
> > As pointed out by Friedmann earlier, the big picture is a somewhat more
> > complicated. This is just the beginning.
>
> And I agree to all this. It is a good change, and I'm happy to see it.
>
> Also, I would be very surprised if the added if-statements inside Qt makes
> much of a difference to performance. As long as that logic stays primarily
> inside Qt, it also doesn't hurt application complexity.

What I don't understand, and which is quite likely entirely my fault as I'm
rather sleep-deprived recently (new baby), is that to me it seems like
situations such as trying to use desktop GL with an ES 2 build or vice versa
would have until now resulted in compile time errors. Now they will become
potential runtime errors (e.g. GL_INVALID_ENUM). Also, is it safe in #include
the ES2 headers on top of the desktop ones now and in the future? That's a
genuine question, I honestly don't know.

If everybody else is happy to live with this then I'll shut up. We should
still consider if it makes sense for QtGui to export these symbols or whether
they should be moved to a new library though.

Cheers,

Sean
--
Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Managing Director UK