[Development] Qt.vector3d() and friends

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Wed Jan 8 14:23:25 CET 2014

Hi,

during the development of the new version of Qt3D's QML API we have come
across an interesting (well if you like that kind of thing) problem.

The issue is that at present the QML value type helpers for types such as
QVector3D are provided by QtQuick meaning that we have to do

import QtQuick x.y

to be able to use them.

There may well be cases where people wish to use Qt3D without QtQuick but we
still need to be able to use these value types from within QML. So should we:

1) Just tell users to import QtQuick  everywhere
2) Replicate the value type helpers to Qt3D
3) Have some common way of providing these e.g. from QtQml

3) seems the most sane to me but of course is a change from the existing
approach.

1) means we force a dependency of QtQuick on Qt3D for any given scene and
means that users will get all of the 2D scenegraph stuff contained therein even
if they don't want/need it.

2) Is bad as it's copy/paste coding and we would need to use a different object
name that Qt (as in Qt.vector3d(0,0,0)) to prevent collisions if someone
decides to use both QtQuick and Qt3D.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Sean