[Development] Does Qt support FreeSync and G-Sync?

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Wed Jan 8 16:19:04 CET 2014

On Wednesday 08 January 2014 16:07:10 Mark Gaiser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you might (or might not) know, nvidia introduced g-sync which is
> going to be supported by some monitor vendors shipping monitors this
> year.
>
> AMD made a twist on that - smart as they are - by introducing their
> own "FreeSync" which they claim is just using the vesa specification.
> So no special hardware is needed provided that your current monitor
> even has the firmware to support it.
>
> Since this syncing stuff depends on rendering i guess it also needs to
> be supported on the software side? Just like good old vsync is. So
> will Qt support this or is Qt supporting this already?
>
> Just asking out of curiosity. I have no hardware that supports either
> g-sync or freesync.

I don't know exactly how these integrate as yet. I've read the press releases
and is something I'm very keen to try out and see if we support it out of the
box or what needs to be done to enable support.

Likewise, I don't have any supported hw either as yet.

Cheers,

Sean

Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Managing Director UK