[Development] moving some SystemInfo stuff into qtbase (was Re: QtDriveInfo module in Playground)

Rutledge Shawn Shawn.Rutledge at digia.com
Fri Jan 10 17:15:01 CET 2014

On 1 Mar 2013, at 11:20 PM, Lorn Potter wrote:

>>> Yes it does.

>>> It's there in qtsystems, which is a hidden module.
>>
>> As I said before when QSystemStorageInfo came about, I think the functionality
>> belongs in QtCore. With less emphasis in QML and mobile, of course.
>
> systeminfo works on all platforms, mobile or not.
> The udisks functionality would have to be removed if moved to core.

I would like to at least have something like QSystemStorageInfo::logicalDrives() to use in building the QML FileDialog.  (QDir::drives() provides drive letters on Windows but not mount points on Linux, which is asymmetric IMO.)  The reason is to have similar functionality on operating systems which will rely on the QML FileDialog as on Windows and OSX: when you plug in a removable drive, or mount a network drive, there should be a shortcut to access it in the file dialog.  So where should we start, and how much should we try to bring over in the first pass?  Is anyone else interested in working on patches for that?

If it doesn't have public QML API, that's OK for now, because I have some C++ support code for the dialogs anyway.  But maybe we should try to bring back (and improve) some of the QML APIs too?