[Development] Debugging into Qt binaries

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at digia.com
Mon Jan 13 09:28:55 CET 2014

On Jan 11, 2014, at 5:55 AM, Kuba Ober <kuba at mareimbrium.org> wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2014, at 6:07 AM, Ziller Eike <Eike.Ziller at digia.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 9, 2014, at 6:05 PM, Kuba Ober <kuba at mareimbrium.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I’m trying to figure out the most constructive way of ensuring that an OS X build of Qt, installed with the source code, can be actually debugged by stepping into the C++ source code in the Qt library. So far I can only step into disassembly. This doesn't work out of the box on a fresh install of Qt 5.2, and it really has never worked with Qt 5 builds. I never got it working for a Qt 4 build either.
> […]
>>
>> Please see my comment on QTBUG-28496:
>>
>> basically to solve this completely, including debugging into Qt code, we need to
>> 	• make sure we package the debugging symbols (dsymutil, or maybe there's a compiler flag that does that during link-time?)
>> 	• think about if the debugging symbols should be in a separate component, it will make the package significantly larger I guess (like Qt libraries 4.8.4 for Mac (185 MB) and debug libraries (480 MB))
>> 	• make it actually find the Qt sources. I've no clue at the moment how to achieve that with apple's gdb, or if we can patch the debug info in the dsym at install time
>> </quote>
>
> Eike, this is very helpful! So far I’ve simply rebuilt Qt locally and are using that for debugging. Is the build script used to build a Qt distribution package available, and if so, where?
>
> Thanks, Kuba Ober

The scripts used to build Qt are on gerrit (https://codereview.qt-project.org/#admin,project,qtsdk/qtsdk,info), and on gitorious here https://qt.gitorious.org/qtsdk/qtsdk .
All starts with packaging-tools/build_wrapper.py in there, e.g. handle_qt_release_build()

Br, Eike

--
Eike Ziller, Senior Software Engineer - Digia, Qt