[Development] Qt 5.3 Feature freeze is coming quite soon...

Peter Hartmann phartmann at blackberry.com
Fri Jan 17 10:01:13 CET 2014

On 01/17/2014 08:54 AM, Knoll Lars wrote:
>  From a feature point of view it would fit best into Qt Network. But
> it's a sizeable piece of code added to Qt Network. Do you have any
> numbers on how this changes the size of Qt Network?
>
> Peter and Rich, and comments from your side?

Size-wise I think it is ok; we could add QT_NO_WEBSOCKETS defines or so
if somebody wants to exclude it. Also the API looks clean and very
similar to our current socket APIs; IIRC Shane did some review already,
I did not look into it closely.

One thing I have been wondering about wrt web sockets is: Where are they
actually used? I am not saying they are not, but I have never come
across a big site (Facebook, Twitter etc.) that offered clients to use
it. The only thing I have found is this rather outdated discussion,
which mentions a few sites:
http://www.quora.com/Which-sites-are-using-websockets-right-now

Again, I am not saying we don't want it; I just want to gain some more
understanding on whether we want it directly in QtNetwork...

Another thing: Kurt, would you be willing to maintain this part of the
code? I probably will not be looking into it too much until it benefits
my employer (i.e. if some BlackBerry app is using it).

Peter