[Development] Consoles

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Fri Jan 17 12:15:24 CET 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at kdab.com> wrote:
> On Friday, 2014-01-17, 10:52:29, Laszlo Papp wrote:
>> Wouldn't it be useful to get a proper 3D module in place first?
>> Although, there are still some nice 2D indie games with full of shader
>> all around. :-)
>
> A console target does not necessarily imply games.
>
> A lot of consoles run apps these days, because they are the platforms that are
> in the living rooms, permanently connected to all kinds of enterainment
> infrastructure and usually only on stand-by and not switched off (no booting).

Hmm, Interesting... I have not been aware of that the main purpose of
the consoles changed these days. I have not played for a while. :)

Cheers,
Laszlo

PS.: Well, I am not sure console as a generic platform makes much
sense though when you can use a raspberry pi or more powerful embedded
board to connect all kinds of entertainment structure together with
more open platforms. Perhaps, that is somewhat the answer why not many
people are interested in a specific proprietary platform (which was
originally meant for powerful games).