[Development] Text to Speech classes (tts)

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at digia.com
Fri Jan 17 17:43:40 CET 2014

Fredag 17. januar 2014 16.13.16 skrev Kevin Krammer:
> On Friday, 2014-01-17, 14:42:37, Travis Allen wrote:
> > On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 14:21 +0100, Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> > > So this is a request for a repository, playground/qspeech (?). And I'm
> > > also open for a name for the repo and "module".
> >
> > We will want to be able to do the reverse Speech To Text as well
> > (if/when/where available). QSpeech as a repository sounds reasonable to
> > me.
> > I can't come up with a better one.
> >
> > Should they be the same module or different modules? Initially I am
> > leaning
> > towards different modules because some platforms may have one way but not
> > the other. However on other platforms they may be tightly coupled so there
> > could be some code re-use between the two modules.
>
> I could imagine that the respective system dependencies could rather
> different, i.e. speech input and speech output having asymetric technology
> requirements.
>
> In which case a single module would drag in both. Are both likely to be used
> together or could there be common cases which use only one of them?

That really depends on the application, but no matter what we can even have
two libraries in one module/repo, so I wouldn't mind having both in one place
unless one of them grows huge. I don't think there will be any implementations
though, but only wrappers around what the platforms offer, so it should be
rather small for us in both cases.

Actually it seems like the speech recognition api is placed in the same place
as the synthesization quite often (android/mac/win all have it that way after
a quick glance).

Greetings,
Frederik

--