[Development] Consoles

Joshua Kolden joshua at crackcreative.com
Fri Jan 17 21:07:15 CET 2014

I’d like to add my vote and reiterate this as a valid target for Qt.  Consoles are becoming media centers, and a new discreet type of ‘device’ just like a tablet or phone.  Although the scope of functionality of these devices is still being worked out I think we can expect a pretty clear set of non game uses.  In addition to non game functions like media playing we already see, I’m sure we can expect features like Home & Office control, info displays for system monitoring, interactive advertising, and other applications that require fewer interaction points and a more ‘lean back’ experience in the near future.

I'm working on a large Qt project for working with images and video that is being developed for the desktops and devices that Qt supports now.  Opening up consoles would be a fantastic next step despite the fact we don’t use CG.

Also I think it is a 'public good' to provide open source competition for system frameworks that may otherwise be proprietary and an attempt to control mind share, like Qt has already done for the XCode and Visual Studio ecosystems.